Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Why then, can one desire too much of a good thing?

This is a disintegrating photo, badly scanned, but for Shakespeare's birthday, I had to post it.

This is me, and a boy named Brian, rehearsing a scene from
As You Like It for a high school drama competition. Last week, for her 500th blog post at Brooklyn Arden, Cheryl Klein highlighted the exact scene we are performing. So, of course, I had to run around the house until I found this picture. I'm glad I have at least one photo of this moment, because it was a HUGE deal to me to get to perform Shakespeare as a teenager. I don't think anyone had taken a scene from Shakespeare to drama competition from our school before. What fun to flirt with these words:

ORLANDO
Then love me, Rosalind.
ROSALIND
Yes, faith, will I, Fridays and Saturdays and all.
ORLANDO
And wilt thou have me?
ROSALIND
Ay, and twenty such.
ORLANDO
What sayest thou?
ROSALIND
Are you not good?
ORLANDO
I hope so.
ROSALIND
Why then, can one desire too much of a good thing?

Happy (designated) Birthday, Shakespeare. You turned me into a lover of words. I've never stopped desiring too much of that good, good thing.

8 comments:

  1. I think you are one of the most... completely whole people I've ever met. You are an adult, yet your young adulthood and childhood are within a moment's rummage through a few albums. For someone who moved so much, you have preserved such a sense of self! It's always so fun to see these little snippets from your past lives...

    Hope you do something suitably dramatic for Shakespeare's birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ain't that the truth?

    What a lucky girl to have been given the chance to fall in love with the written word in such romantic terms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PRICELESS. Priceless priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know someone who resembles that boy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really, LW? Is he an actor?

    Thanks, all, for enjoying the Bard's day with me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I once interpreted that play into ASL. Now that I'm older, I actually question interpreting Shakespeare into ASL. Too much gets lost. I think some plays are just not interpret-able.

    Anyway, love his hairdo. Love grainy, old photos.

    And, hey, isn't your birthday soon, if memory is serving me right from last year? Don't you and your entire family share the same birthday or something wonderful and crazy like that?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that picture and memory. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete

R-E-S-P-E-C-T (or you will be deleted)

You can receive followup comments to this conversation by checking the "notify me" box below the comment window.