Thursday, April 17, 2008

Operation Teen Book Drop

I did it! For Operation Teen Book Drop, I left a signed copy of Letters From Rapunzel on the book sale shelves of my public library. As you can see, I put a note on it: "FREE book, courtesy of Operation Teen Book Drop (see inside.)" I wrapped a rubber band around the cover, so that I could attach a writing journal (if they're so inspired after reading about Rapunzel's writing adventures) and a readergirlz pin. I also included the press release about Operation TBD for any young reporters who would be interested in how the project began.

There was only one witness, browsing the adult shelves, and she didn't notice me when I left the book or when I took the picture. Or at least, she didn't stare. I felt so...covert.

For the record, I thought about dropping the book somewhere daring, like Cloudscome did (the Wendy's parking lot!) but I was chicken. My book's still too much my baby to leave it unattended, near traffic and asphalt. I guess you already knew that by the note and toys I left with it. ;)

Don't forget that there's an online two-hour book party hosted at the readergirlz MySpace group forum (http://groups.myspace.com/readergirlz) tonight, from 6-8pm Pacific/9-11pm Eastern.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, wow, Sara. That is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your post, Sara! And photo. Thanks for rocking the drop with us!

    Lorie Ann Grover ~readergirlz diva/author

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is adorable. I'm so glad you took a picture! I printed out the bookmarks from Readergirlz, tucked one in each book, and pasted the bookplate in the front of the ones I dropped on the island in the parking lot of the teen after school hangout. I am so shy I didn't want them to see me so I scooted in and out, leaving the books about 30 feet from a bunch of skateboarders. I went around to the drive-through window and got some fried with that. All night I was thinking about those books and wondering who picked them up... wishing it was the right kid for each book. Wasn't this fun? It's so cool you left your own book and a journal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I mean "fries with that". Hope not "fried" LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great concept--woo hoo to you for participating! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know, cloudscome...I kind would like to say: "I'll take some fried with that." 'cause you know you can fry nearly anything, even Oreo cookies or cheesecake. (Yes, I saw that last one on a menu.)

    ReplyDelete

R-E-S-P-E-C-T (or you will be deleted)

You can receive followup comments to this conversation by checking the "notify me" box below the comment window.